Monday, August 25, 2014

I took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge!



A friend of mine, Patrick, nominated me to take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. (Click to view) So, in my backyard, I filled up a bucket with cold water and added shaved ice... brrrr! Just like all who has done this already, I plan to make a donation this weekend. 

There has been a few on social media that have started questioning the idea of supporting ALS. They claim that it would be morally wrong as a Christian to donate to a foundation that has financed Embryonic Stem Cell Research. They make note that the research is done with aborted babies. Hmm... would I want to take part in this?

As many of my friends and family know, I don't just want to go with what I read on facebook. And with that in mind, I decided to do my own research as well.

Based on reporting from the American Life League, a spokeswoman from ALSA wrote the following:


The ALS Association primarily funds adult stem cell research.  Currently, The Association is funding one study using embryonic stem cells (ESC), and the stem cell line was established many years ago under ethical guidelines set by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS); this research is funded by one specific donor, who is committed to this area of research.  In fact, donors may stipulate that their funds not be invested in this study or any stem cell project. Under very strict guidelines, The Association may fund embryonic stem cell research in the future.

After do more reading, I found this: "Embryonic stem cell lines do not come from aborted fetuses."


Cells with the potential to form embryonic stem cells in a lab dish only exist in these four to five day old blastocysts. They are a fleeting cell type that disappears after that point in time. A common misconception is that the cells can come from aborted fetuses, which is in fact not possible.

All the human embryonic stem cell lines currently in use come from four to five day old embryos left over from in vitro fertilization (IVF). In in vitro fertilization, researchers mix a man's sperm and a woman's eggs together in a lab dish. Some of those eggs become fertilized and begin developing. At about five days the egg has divided to become a hollow ball of roughly 100 cells called a blastocyst which is smaller than the size of the dot over an “i”. It is these very early embryos that are implanted into the woman in the hopes that she becomes pregnant.

By the way, when I make make my donation, I'll include instructions not to use it for Embryonic Stem Cell Research, and designate it to something specific. Now that's not too hard!

~Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Radio Recap (Monday 10/05/20)

Bible Trivia Question: Who is the great Shepherd? A. David B. Joseph C. Moses D. Jesus  In The News:  - National Do Something Nice Day. It w...